HiStory

In 1973, founding pastor, Bob Yawberg, felt God's call to "preach Christ in the city".  Through a series of events, the dilapidated Wayne Street United Methodist Church building (built in 1871) was purchased, and Broadway Christian Church held its first service on January 6th, 1974.


In the 1980s, Broadway picketed the adjacent Erotica Adult Bookstore.  Eventually, not only did the adult bookstore close, but Broadway acquired the building.  The building now houses our benevolence ministry, "Inasmuch".


In 2009, Broadway took part in the West Central Neighborhood Historic Tour.  We were featured in their book.  To view the article outlining our history in more detail, click here.


Throughout the years, the people who make up Broadway Christian Church have changed, but the centrality of God's Word, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the responsiveness to the Holy Spirit here have remained constant.  We are still committed to preaching Christ in our city today with prayerful anticipation of seeing God's Kingdom come to Fort Wayne to an even greater degree.